Monday, November 12, 2012

Ragnar recap

Always go with the choice that scares you the most, because that’s the one that is going to require the most from you – Caroline Myss

36 hours in a van. Run, eat, sleep?.. 

What a good time. 

This experience really changed my life. Changed how I view my body and myself. Made me realize that I am powerful that I can do anything I decide to. That I am no longer watching life from the sidelines. 

I am strong.

That being said, it was hard. 
(If you aren't interested in a crazy, long-ish race recap skip the rest of this and know the race was awesome.)

So, we got in a van and drove to Las Vegas (9 hours).

Checked into our motel and tried to sleep didn't really happen becasue I was too nervous about "what I had got myself into."

The next morning we got in that van travelled to the meeting spot and had our "team meeting." 

I was in van 2 so we would have a few hours before we started running.

Our van started running that evening- as runner 9 I was the third one out for our van. It was way colder than I expected it to be in Las Vegas and was glad that I had bought a new running jacket, boy did I ever need it. 

My first run was labled "easy" and was only 2.9 miles so I really thought it would be the easiest one for me and would be a good "start" to this crazy race I had signed up for. 

I'll be danged if it wasn't just getting dark when I started running, the wind was blowing in my face most of the way and it was ALL FREAKING UP HILL! 

I'm telling you I had to give myself a major pep talk, and if there hadn't been 11 other people counting on me I would of quit right then and there. 

I just knew that I wouldn't be able to complete my other "legs" that were labeled moderate and hard if the "easy" one about killed me off. I finished that run at my scheduled 12 minute mile pace. It was hard. My lungs were on fire. My spirit was pretty low. 

What I will tell you is that my next run happened at about 4 am. It was freezing cold and I was determined. 

It was easier. Mostly because mentally I had decided that there was no way in hell I was going to quit. I also beat my "pace."  

I accomplished something this weekend I only thought was a dream. 

Our race lasted about 36 hours. We had very little sleep, didn't make the best food choices, and had a BLAST! 

Can't wait for the next one and too see what else I can accomplish in this "new life" I have.

It isn't your job to like me, it is mine. Byron Katie  


5 comments:

  1. YAY!! mindset is so important! Glad you had a good race, that does kinda sound like some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You really turned it around and made it a good race - WOOT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I nominated you for a liebster award!!

    http://thedandybandy.blogspot.com/2012/11/liebster-you-say.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just came and read this from a link from today's post. THIS right here? It made me want to run more. I kind of love and hate you at the same time. :) Seriously though, I'm so glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete